Possibility World (23rd September 2010)

If I were to put together all of my plans and ideas for what I want to do with my life, right from the tiny whims like putting up more posters in my room and organising my music and movie collection to the more intense ambitions like starting a company or making a movie or making a movie about starting a company, I'm certain the hypothetical life I would lead would be entirely too glamourous.
Indeed.

At different moments in my life, I have been consumed with the idea of being a Professional

Stand-up comedian
Spiritual leader
Actor/screenwriter/editor/director
Bass or harmonica or xylophone player or heck, front-man of a band
Tap dancer
Juggler
Stuntman
Rock climber
Base jumper/sky diver
Security guard at an ATM
Truck driver
Horse caretaker
Dog caretaker
Dog photographer
Masseur
Motivational speaker
Enhancing popularity trainer
Policy maker's assistant
Detective
Psychiatrist
World traveller
Social critic
Movie critic
Music critic
Any critic
Googler (basically using any internet search tool to find out or verify virtually anything)
Proofreader
Entrepreneur's go-to guy
Guy who makes names for companies/products/kids/pets
Owner of a great venue to live music and art showcasing/integrating
Movie and music producer
Copywriter
Writer.

Currently this is where the list stands. I think. In my head, at least. And sincerely speaking, I think it's down-up. Which is to suggest that the last few items on the list are what I am immediately (and for the better part of the next few years, intend to be) consumed with.

And if you look closely (if you haven't already)... the capital letters all fit together to form a word.

---

OK, I lie. But don't you hate it when people capitalise the first letter in a vertical list like that and don't make it a word? Imagine being a Professional List Maker So That The First Letter Of Each Item Is A Letter In The Word The List Ultimately Spells Out, Guy. I would probably love that.

I think my point is... that I have inadvertently led a very illustrious (and extremely unique) life of possibilities, all along the relatively less interesting 22 years of life reality has asked me to recognise. It's quite inspiring on the one hand... but a little disappointing most of the time.
So much paperwork in the process.

If there were a way to document and actually lead the many lives our imagination could conjure (not in a virtual reality sense) and make a living out of actually living, that would be a delight.

Possibility World.

Oh well. Just a thought. I suppose it isn't a possibility. Maybe the purpose of this was just to list down the different things I want to do before I die.
Besides being a father.

"Everyone thinks Possibility Girl is possibly a genius. Any day now, they continually agree, Possibility Girl will make it big. Become a star. ‘You won’t forget us when you're famous, will you?’ they always say, as Possibility Girl begins yet another amazing project.

The only person, who doesn’t believe in Possibility Girl's possible genius, is Possibility Girl herself. She thinks they're being too kind. She isn’t gifted at all. She’s a fake genius, bluffing her way through life. She is convinced the moment she tries to actually achieve her full potential, she will fail, fall flat on her face, and the people that once admired her from afar, will admire her no more. And so Possibility Girl never actually achieves anything. She just sits on the edge of her possible glory and basks in the adulation of her potential." - Andre Jordan


Sincerely,

Possibility Boy.

4 comments:

  1. Possibility Boy will always be Possibility Boy. This is because, when possibility boy fully understands the depth of what it is to be possibility boy, he also realises immediately that he will always remain possibility boy no matter the number of lists he makes (and conquers).

    Possibility Boy's reality on the other hand is what decides the new possibilities that it (reality) should conquer (Knowing all the while that on conquering these possibilities there will only be more possibilities).

    It is due to this that possibility boy's reality realises its futility in conquering its possibilities. This results in two ways. The first - Possibility Boy's reality realises its futility-->gets agitated about its inability to turn Possibility Boy into Reality Boy-->decides the only way to get rid of this anxiety is to live life believing that one day he will be able to metamorphose into reality boy--> makes lists, conquers them; makes more, conquers them and so on.

    The second - Possibility Boy realises that whatever conquered results in the same emptiness of possibility - the not done. This futility drives possibility boy never to make a list again.

    As for possibility girl, her fate is the same as all of ours - possibility boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written that post. It was me, from the word P. That possibility world is so the world I live in. Everyone always telling me I am something else, they sense the magic in me and they ask me, most adorably, to never change when one day, the world is at my feet.
    I won't change, I know that. What I want to know is when will I step out of this wonderful fantasy world of I-could-be-an-amazing-anything and mock acceptance speeches for all sorts of awards that I am destined to win one day, and bake my dough of possibilities into a cake. A cake that I can smell, touch and eat. A real cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. Got so carried away I missed telling you I liked your post. Guess moving someone as sleepy as I am right now, and on the verge of a bout of flu, into penning a comment for your post, means your job is done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :)

    I could probably dissect that post. Yeah sure I could, but instead I think I'll just divide them possibilities into two lists, hey maybe three even. Separated on basis of things you can do despite being a professional something else, the pessimists count-down and the if-you-wanna-be-this-get-off-your-ass-asap. But hey, thats just me. Also the fourth list of things you possibily already are/have been but are not aware (silly!)

    bunnymandala

    ReplyDelete