Cohesion (11th March 2011)

You know what I used to love doing as a kid? Pouring a little water on a surface (usually the floor), in patches... and then using a few drops to kind of connect the different puddles so that, almost magically, I could watch the water come alive and congregate.

It seemed miraculous to me... the way water could do that. To witness seemingly disconnected puddles just come together like that must be how oceans are formed, I would ponder. Moving by itself, I realize now that this is due to the cohesive nature of water. Well, that and its adhesive properties along with surface tension, but the physics behind it doesn't make it less inspiring.

Cohesion. The act of forming a united whole. Nature sure is the best teacher.

5 comments:

  1. Who are YOU? I find myself returning, always returning, to read your words.
    I think you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha oh my, I am not immune to such kind words. Thank you. And thank you for the big dollop of irony you've placed within your first three words, dear Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very welcome. But seriously, who are you? I know that sounds arrogant and vaguely stalkerish, but would you please tell me more about yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this again, and realised how WEIRD I sound.
    Well, here's the thing:

    I deliberated on this a lot, but decided not to say anything because I didn't want to make myself sound like an idiot.

    But after spending more time than I can afford watching the palm leaves dance outside my window, and the pink-orange hues of the sunset, I decided that life's too short and transient not to take a chance.

    So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, I think we have a lot in common. Could we please get to know each other?

    I assure you I am very normal (albeit slightly lonerish, loserish and complicated), but nevertheless interesting. Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure, hit me up on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/varunmukerji

    ReplyDelete