Undividedness (22nd February 2011)

I'm looking to get a little closer
A little closer to you.
I can't imagine being closer
Proximity's got me looking the fool.

I remember
Tucking your hair back behind your ear
Or holding your side while I stood near.
Waiting to see you and hating to leave
Or thinking of how my chest would heave.
When my stares were full and my eyes weren't cold
I guess time has a way of making everyone old.

I remember looking at a girl with this ridiculous and hopeless grin of undividedness.

I miss that feeling. Only slightly, mind you.
My distractions have learnt to take centre stage.

Now my friend is pretend and he plays the lead role
The thing with solitude is – it has plenty of soul.
Even when I'm real, my mind's in a bout
Do you think this is easy? Shit, without-a-doubt.

Putting on that suit is like wearing a glove
But a trace is a good thing when you're in love.
Costumes are for pussies but what are you gonna do?
Pussies are essential man, there's nothing more true.

These last two stanzas seem a bit more hip-hop
But rhythm in poetry always helps the beat drop.
I'm trying to close now, no room to stutter
This shit sure ain't smooth peanut butter.

Yours crunchily,

Mr. Division.



"If you've come looking for hard times, hard times ain't hard to find." - Clarence Greenwood

No comments:

Post a Comment