Weltanschauung (29th July 2010)


I got tattooed yesterday. I put on my shorts, got into my car, picked up Jenaan and drove to Al's Tattoos 'n' Cappuccino, Carter Road, Bandra.

His name was Joe, from Thailand. He'd be my artist, I was told. Looked nice enough, wore a smile and had a killer tattoo on his neck. I got a good vibe from him.

My wrist is still a little swollen and it throbs when I leave my hand limp. Should take a while to heal I suppose. I've read that yellow isn't the best colour to use. But it wouldn't be the same without it, so I hope I manage to take care of it right. Maintenance is key.

I've been more or less neutral towards the topic of tattoos and sometimes even against, because of how nothing lasts etc. But more recently I started to recognize that there are things that I hold on to and I stopped seeing reason in discouraging the concept.
Besides, a tattoo also happens to be pretty darn cool.

---------

The design is very close to me, and comes from modest beginnings. Over 2 years ago now, I used MS Paint to place an infinity logo over a smiley face. I sat back and said "YES".

I tried to make it my own. A depiction of my values and my faith in integrity, in happiness.
A depiction of my way of being.

I've held it close for a while now and it has kept me going, along with the people I hold close - and enabled me to live free with any pain or negativity.
Like a reminder, that staying positive is worth it.
Hoping is worth it. Smiling is worth it.

The pursuit of happiness with an effort towards the perspective of infinity.

- The perspective of infinity here is to say there every point of view can hold value and that there is always another way to look at, or approach an idea.
- The white in the eyes to depict the vast, open space of everything and nothing all at once. Of possibility and scope. Of the universe in thought.
- The yellow face to express good and strong energy. Vibrancy.
- And the smile. To say that happiness is the best way to go.

The inifinty-eyed smiley helps me remember. This is my tattoo, my elegant anchor.
A display of my Weltanschauung.

And the smile isn't perfect. The edges are different.

A scar can get in the way of a smile... but not in the way of what it represents.

Yours indelibly,

Varun!

No comments:

Post a Comment