Gulp (15th March 2010)

He sits and he stares and he stares and he sits
How much longer?

He looks out the window and the sky is seeping in
How much longer?

There she is, the woman he’s been waiting for.
All of a sudden, she’s here.

Stand up, he asked. His legs wouldn’t listen.
His legs just wouldn’t fucking listen.

Speak up, he thought and his mouth stayed shut.
His mouth just stayed fucking shut.

What’s the point, he settled, as he looked back out the window.
I’ll do this tomorrow, I will, I know it. It will be done.
Just another day now.

He sits and he stares and he stares and he sits.

Then all of a sudden, they’re here.

His foot starts to kick, his legs spring up.
He advances.

His fist is clenched, his hands are swaying.
He comes to a halt.

His eyes are fixed, his stare is certain.
He’s certain. He is certain. Gulp.

He takes a quick look around and sees the office, lying dead in its eternity.
Of course, he thinks to himself. He needed out.

He smiles at her and says
“I’d like to carry on with my life now, thanks.
Which is to say… I quit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment