Salvation - Citizen Cope (21st May 2010)

If there's one song that has never failed to get me to cringe my eyebrows, nod my head from side to side and use my unfortunately un-melodic voice to sing almost as though all the pain and anguish in the world has finally been understood and accepted by one solitary soul, it's this.



"Since I was the age to speak, Haven't you been listening? Salvation. I'm calling. Salvation"

It is heavy, it is poignant, it is moving. It is everything music is supposed to be. Each chord and each painstaking syllable used by Clarence Greenwood's beautifully unique voice manages to stir and shake everything inside me.

"I'm downstairs on the Motorola. You know, I got 3 golden bullets and I'm shooting for your soul. Salvation. I'm calling. Salvation"

You don't need to understand it. You just know it's there.
Like the blonde-headed kid with a left handed guitar.

"His first shot grazed my eye
I lost half of my sight and my first born's life
Yeah, the second shot knocked off my guitar moon
And it made my guitar kind of play out of tune
But I just kept strumming like I had nothing to lose
He turned the third on himself
'Cause the bastard knew.
Salvation. I'm calling. Salvation"

Put the gun down. Put the gun down. Put the gun down. Put the gun down.

No comments:

Post a Comment