Moral View (4th May 2008)

I stared at him as he stared back
His eyes weary and his face worn
The skin on his face exposed his age, or should I say fatigue
But there was something about his eyes
Something clear and true yet subdued
It was hard to describe, but easy to perceive
It talked of life and love and meaning and futility
It spoke, uttered words of wisdom
The truth flowed down his face and over his scar
These scars, he said were more than superficial
But then are scars more than that? If a scar is a symbol of healing
Why is it that we talk of pain? Because it’s a process, alright
But then it is still a mere modification, physical modification
People call it deformation, but then doesn’t that imply a modification still
Why did we give it this negative angle? Why did morality even come into the picture?
How tainted are we? How impure? What is it that we’re all striving towards?
He stared at me and his face was cold and stern
I couldn’t help but submit to the power, the strong and hard power
Within his eyes. It was almost divine. Haha, divinity, I thought to myself.
Ok, morality, come at me. I’ll open my arms, I swear. What choice do I have?
Haha, choice, I thought again. I am but a victim. And I accept it. Because there is no other way.
Deny consciousness, I thought to myself... but all the man would say were unspoken words
He told me unseemingly, “don’t concern yourself with these trivialities. Don’t concern yourself at all.”
I’m hardly bothered, and I’m doing great. “Indifference is virtue?” I ask.
Virtue and vice aside, indifference is intelligence. If all we are is nothing, or if all we are is everything
What difference does it make? Are we not ‘condemned’ to death? Are we not ‘condemned’ to ‘freedom'?
These concepts are fleeting and eternal and this duality is apparent
But still, concepts are concepts and within these human constructs,
We are aware of the end. It comes to all, without discrimination
Nothing is discriminate, at one point of view. Come here, my son, and I will show you.
And then it all became clear, as though it wasn’t before.
I sorted my business. I finished with purpose. I left for my family the world and more.
I walked away from the glass, and walked out the door.
I walked into darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment